User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By VR6ftw

post #1 of 9 Old 02-21-2014, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
VW Golf GTE won't be coming to the USA.

Courtesy of Jalopnik, we have learnt that the Golf GTE will not be coming to the USA. That is about all the info we've got though.

While this is disappointing, it is not surprising. The infrastructure is still not really there yet in North America.

Why do you think VW decided against bringing the plug-in electric Golf to NA?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-21-2014, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
where did jalopnik get their source from? I remember just last week they were criticizing Autoguide and Motoring.au for perpetuating the Supra to production rumor with no source in the case of autoguide and a single unnamed source for motoring. Not for anything but this seems to be a bit of hypocrisy on their part. I saw the post you reference as well. It was little more than a sentence.

I'll wait until someone actually checks with VW America...

post #3 of 9 Old 02-21-2014, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
nothing ever comes to the USA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-21-2014, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teutonic View Post
where did jalopnik get their source from? I remember just last week they were criticizing Autoguide and Motoring.au for perpetuating the Supra to production rumor with no source in the case of autoguide and a single unnamed source for motoring. Not for anything but this seems to be a bit of hypocrisy on their part. I saw the post you reference as well. It was little more than a sentence.

I'll wait until someone actually checks with VW America...
Jalopnik has been wrong before, and I think they are probably wrong again here. With the GTE drivetrain being certified for America as the Audi A3 e-tron, I have a hard time believing VW won't make the incremental effort to also sell that powertrain as a Golf.

Or perhaps that is key to why the GTE won't come to the US. Keep the drivetrain limited to the A3 where they can earn higher profit margins...and lose some sales.
teutonic likes this.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-21-2014, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6ftw View Post
Jalopnik has been wrong before, and I think they are probably wrong again here. With the GTE drivetrain being certified for America as the Audi A3 e-tron, I have a hard time believing VW won't make the incremental effort to also sell that powertrain as a Golf.

Or perhaps that is key to why the GTE won't come to the US. Keep the drivetrain limited to the A3 where they can earn higher profit margins...and lose some sales.
unfortunately I agree with you. Its the same reasoning the VW group used when they decided to kill the A3 hatch in NA when the Q3 was announced for export.

double unfortunate I found the source, its Wards Auto. You think someone would cite something, they are professionals after all...

http://www.inautonews.com/us-ford-fa...s#.UweROPldWnE

Quote:
Volkswagen’s new plug-in hybrid Golf, which makes its public debut at next month’s Geneva auto show, will hit European markets later this year but isn’t slated for the U.S...

And although the hybrid Jetta is sold in the U.S. and executives have hinted about expanding application of VW’s 1.4L engine in the market, a spokesman says the plug-in model is not targeted as part of the U.S. lineup for now.
I do also wonder if a part of the decision was looking at Jetta Hybrid sales. they only moved ~5,000 units last year and sales are down 3.4% to kick things off for 2014...

post #6 of 9 Old 02-24-2014, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Part of the decision must have to do with the Audi A3 getting the same drive train. Of course there could also be some concern over how well the Golf GTE would do if it was sold in NA. If the Jetta hybrid didn't sell well, they could think that that would be the cse with the Golf GTE as well. Remember that VWs sell way better in Europe, so maybe they just did some cost benefit analysis on the situation.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-25-2014, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Do you guys think VW will change their minds in the future and eventually bring it over? Sometimes vehicle makers do this..

post #8 of 9 Old 02-25-2014, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
audi does much better than vw in north america

so i would understand if VW wanted to keep the sales for the A3 E Tron.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-02-2014, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by calek View Post
audi does much better than vw in north america

so i would understand if VW wanted to keep the sales for the A3 E Tron.
makes sense, better to give it to the higher volume brand, easy to way to ensure sales get off to a good start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Golf GTE Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page